Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Nyet.


The Russians hate Indiana Jones. Now...do they not realize that the movie takes place in 1957 at the height of the Cold War? I'm pretty sure - not 100% because I haven't researched - that the Germans didn't have huge problems with Indy during The Last Crusade when Nazis were the bad guys in the film. So, are Russians just ultra sensitive?

I saw the movie this weekend. It's fun and campy in that Indiana Jones way. I can see why it's getting mixed reviews, but I don't completely understand what all the people that reviewed it poorly were expecting. It's INDIANA JONES. You suspend belief. I'm pretty sure regular people can't swing from things using bull whips, or outrun huge boulders. It's fun, classic movie adventure.

As for what the Chrystal Skull is, and where it came from (I won't spoil anyone in case they haven't seen it yet), keep in mind that this is Spielberg and Lucas we're dealing with. It makes perfect sense.
And for the record, Shia LaBeouf was awesome. And Karen Allen is aging very nicely. But Cate Blanchett, one of my all-time favorite actresses, could have gotten a better dialect coach. She sounded like Natasha from the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons. Though, again, it was Indiana Jones, which is, essentially, a live-action cartoon anyway.

No comments: