Sunday, June 8, 2008

Academia and the Whedonverse

I wish I'd known about this sooner. I would have done just about anything to sit in on these lectures. I think more colleges should offer classes based on Buffy. I'd totally get an 4.0 if I majored in that.

Some examples of some of the lectures:

  • "'When You Kiss Me, I Want to Die': Gothic Relationships and Social Taboos on BtVS"
  • "'Kicking Ass Is Comfort Food': Girlie Feminism, Violence, and the Slayer"
  • "'Here Endeth the Lesson': Spike's Torturous Romances and Life Laid Bare"
  • "'It's Only Our Methods That Differ. We Use the Latest in Scientific Technology and State-of-the-Art Weaponry, and You... Poke Them with a Sharp Stick': Various Methods for Teaching with Buffy"
  • “Love isn’ t bra ins . . . i t ’ s blood” : Gender , Sex, and Violence in the Buffyverse
  • )—“ ’ I knew this
    “ I ’m the only one ” thing was just an attention-getter ’: The Influence of Buffy and Faith’s Relationship on Their Identity Formation and Moral Development ”
  • "'I Don't Know What Kind of Man I Am Anymore': The Damaged Man in Angel and Post-Angel Cult Television"
  • "Evil intelligence: Angel versus Angelus"
  • "Myth, Metaphor, Morality and Monsters: How Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Other Works by Joss Whedon Changed Ethical Thought Forever"

See the whole program here. Sigh.

No comments: