Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Brief political rant

What the fuck, California? Really. The Prop 8 ruling was upheld today in the CA Supreme Court, which I just can't wrap my head around. I don't get it. All human beings deserve the same rights. We are all equal, regardless of race, creed, sexuality. We all deserve to get married, drink from the same water fountains, eat in the same restaurants, have families, receive health insurance, support ourselves and our families, have abortions, ride the same public transportation, get divorced, adopt children, serve our countries, vote. I am appalled. Fucking disgusted. Incredibly disappointed. I will never understand the small mindedness of people. I will never understand prejudice. It's not our place to judge anyone for their sexuality, but it is our right to be able to love as we wish and marry who we want regardless of that sexuality. And I don't even want to get married! But it's a shame that I have the option to make that choice, but there are people who have it made for them.


All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression. -Thomas Jefferson

No comments: